Woah! Talk about a long hiatus... sorry to keep *all* (more like all 2) of you hanging in suspense! Will I finish my riveting saga on the Emotional Vampire...? Perhaps another day. As for right now, I am posting my first discussion response from my Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program. My official start date was today and it will last 15 weeks... wish me luck!
SUGGESTOPEDIA
The simultaneously mysterious and pseudoscientific appearance of the term suggestopedia immediately caught my attention. Upon a quick search for more information, I came upon OneStopEnglish.com and an article on suggestopedia written by Tim Bowen. Although
the exact date of the article is unknown, it seems to be contemporary
and was written as reference material for those visiting their website. I understand this is a very limited view of the theory and definitely welcome greater insights into its wonders.
Georgi
Lozanov was a Bulgarian educator who developed suggestopedia in the
1970s and claimed that this method would accelerate memorization by up
to 25 times the rate of other conventional learning methods. He claimed that the power of positive suggestion through a relaxed and focused state created the optimum learning environment. This
learning method ascribed a parent-child relationship to the teacher and
learner, with the learner solely absorbing the lessons as doled out by
the teacher.
Central to the method was the presence of music. In
fact, lengthy formal dialogues would be read aloud to learners to the
accompaniment of music and were known as “concert readings.” Interwoven
into memorable pieces of classical music, the teacher’s voice was part
of the symphony and learners were expected to absorb and internalize
enormous amounts of dialogue and, therefore, building blocks of
language, while in a heightened sense of focus, relaxation, and
receptivity. At other times, less formal readings were conducted to a less severe regimen of background music.
There
is certainly merit in creating a nurturing physical, mental, and
emotional environment for learning, but the operatic suggestopedia
practices may be best left in the past. Of course, music can be
massively helpful to the learning process sometimes - who doesn't
remember singing the 50 States song in elementary school? With that
said, although there are many advertisement jingles that I will never, ever be able to remove from my memory (… where you wouldn’t have a gotten a lemon… I wouldn’t have gotten a lemon? ... at Toyota of Orange...),
I will have to subscribe to the opinion of the many critics who declare
suggestopedia as a method containing no apparent theory of language or
learning and produced inconclusive results.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! I know you can do it! 15 weeks are gonna fly by in no time! Thank you for always introducing me to all these new words like amaze balls and suggestopedia...haha! Good luck, knock 'em dead!!
ReplyDeleteLoL, it's what I bring to the table... thanks for the good luck wishes! I'm already down 1.5 weeks and I finished all my homework this week, yay! I will make it!!!
ReplyDelete