Some of you may know that I have a somewhat tumultuous relationship with my supervisor. For anonymity's sake we shall call her Evil Boss. The emotional turmoil has been going on since April... it subsided temporarily in August as a result of me going to the Chief. Then she began to rear her ugly head again in September but I left for a small chunk in the middle for the wedding. *Refer to October 2012 post: Forever, Here We Come!*![]() |
Although, I really haven't been keeping it cool - I often sit at my cubicle and shake with overwhelming anger. But I am a mature, professional woman working for a government agency... with parents who really, really, really emphasize the importance of being a good worker. I'm not going to bust into her office and tell her a piece of my mind! That's just going to make me look psycho! Especially since she is that insidious type of workplace bully. She never steps out of line publicly. She will ALWAYS make you come to her office, close the door, and sit down. *shudder*
At any rate... things have escalated at a very rapid rate as of late and Evil Boss is no longer tolerable. I have written a 4 page letter which I intend to send to HR, the Chief, Assistant Director, Director, The Union, and the Ethics Committee. I won't include the entire thing but I'll include what I've been dealing with this past week...
On
October 31, the current Training Coordinator informed me that *Evil Boss* engaged
her in a conversation specifically regarding me that day. *Evil Boss* asked her if I was happy with my job
because I did not seem “invested.” *Evil Boss* also told her that I missed a lot of work and have not even tried to do any
cross-training. While I felt her private
workplace bully antics to be something I could personally overcome, I found
this highly prejudicial public mischaracterization of my work ethic,
performance, and attendance record to be completely out of line both ethically
and professionally. I had previously
grown to distrust *Evil Boss* with personal or medical information but never
suspected she would breach the level of confidentiality and discretion expected
of a supervisor.
On
Novermber 1, *Evil Boss* refused to let me use Sick Leave Other (SLO) on Kronos *timekeeping software* because I did not use the words “medical” and “family” at any time of my
request, nor did I notify her of my intention to use SLO upon returning. I consulted *HR Lady* regarding this
specific timekeeping regulation matter and e-mailed *Evil Boss* the instructions
from *HR Lady*. She came to my desk and
asked me to follow her to her office.
She had already begun walking away when I asked her what the meeting was
for. She turned back and asked me to
come to her office again, and I refused.
At which point she said, “Ok, we can do it here if you want.” She flipped open the Memorandum of Agreement
(MOA) and began quoting it to me. I
brought up my conversation with *HR Lady* and she interrupted with the following:
“I just went upstairs to talk to *HR Lady* and corrected her.” She read the MOA aloud again and then stated,
“I am the appointing authority and I can request verification.” I explained that it was my understanding a
doctor’s note was only required if I missed three or more days of work. She stated that she was not asking for a
note. To which I replied, “Then what are you asking for?” She restated that I could not use SLO and I
announced I would use another code. She
walked away.
*Evil Boss* actively undermines her subordinates’ relationships with Human Resources
(HR) and upper management. I found
this episode to be highly embarrassing and completely unnecessary. It also proved that HR could not assist me in
my grievous interactions with *Evil Boss*.
It elicited a strong emotional response from me as I felt very
humiliated and offended. I have, on
other occasions, been extremely frustrated by her actions to a point where my
hands would shake. I have even missed or
left work as a result of interactions with her.
On the
morning of November 2, *Evil Boss* and I exchanged e-mails that were copied to
*2 HR Ladies* in continuation of this matter. The final action was *Evil Boss* walking up to me
and brusquely placing a copied page of the MOA on my desk with two highlighted
sections. At this time, I began to feel
extremely ill. The symptoms were
unrecognizable to me and I made an urgent appointment at Kaiser Permanente
using their website. Soon after, my
condition worsened and I called their hotline.
After answering screening questions, the nurse recommended that I go to
the Emergency Room immediately and that I do not drive. After ruling out a cardiac event, I visited
my regular physician who conducted further diagnostic evaluations.
I have
been placed off of work from November 2 through November 18, during which time
I will seek additional treatment as prescribed and referred by my
physician. I am also actively pursuing
enrollment in the Employee Assistance Program.
I am filing an official complaint against *Evil Boss* and a worker’s
compensation claim.
EPILOGUE: I was diagnosed with an Acute Anxiety Attack and Generalized Anxiety.... caused by EVIL BOSS! My doctor placed me off work for 2 weeks, prescribed medication, and gave me a psychiatric referral. That witch sent me to the looney bin! I loathe her. I am seeking a 2nd opinion on how to order HER a psychiatric referral. *scowl*



Oh my goodness! That is pure awfulness! I am so sorry that you have been going through such an emotionall abusie work environment. I have been in passive aggressive work environments before, that this is way extreme. I hope you feel better and use some of this time off as solace from the evilness and hopefully you can come back with avengence. =)
ReplyDeleteI hope you do find a way to get a psychiatric referral to HER!! I hope each day you feel better!! Life will be brighter for you soon!!! I just know it! And you are so brave for surviving what you've gone through, I know you will come back from this bigger and better and you will conquer anything life throws at you!! <3
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read the whole thing. Hope you are feeling much better with your time off ;o)
ReplyDeleteThis is so terrible! I hope that the situation is resolved soon. I can't believe that this person is still allowed to hold her position.
ReplyDeleteDear Everyone... thank you so much for your heartfelt responses and understanding. Yes, it seems everyone has worked for/with more than anyone's fair share of terrible people in this world. But... as my recently appointed, county-paid-for, shiny new therapist says... life ain't fair. Really? 6 different post-grad degrees for this type of insight??? LoL, no, he's pretty great actually. He puts everything into Evolutionary and Star Wars analogies for me.
ReplyDeleteAnyway... a new post is waiting to BURST out of me - as soon as my left pinky heals. I cleaved the tip into 2 when slicing Holiday Ham off the shank with a freshly sharpened butcher knife! *shudder*