Friday, November 30, 2012

Jimmy Got A Job At Google

I am still up and completely wired but in a very good way.  Tomorrow is my long awaited Honeymoon to Atlantis in the Bahamas!!  Since I can't sleep and I don't particularly feel this situation warrants any medication... I figured that I would leave a parting post to get you guys through my radio-silence.

I have an announcement to make... even though I'm sure that most of the people who read this blog already know the news - I haven't made an official announcement... so here it is.  I AM OFFICIALLY HIRED by ZAPPOS.COM and will start on FEBRUARY 4th, 2013!!!  The office is in HENDERSON, NEVADA- which means come mid/late January, I will be making my transition to become a member of the Silver State.

Check out their Zappos Family Music Video!!
I feel very lucky to have been one of the "chosen ones" because Zappos only hires 1% of all applicants and have a very unique and somewhat strenuous application process.  It's one of the top "Happiest Places to Work" and is Fortune's #11 for 2012.  Their pride and purpose is to deliver HAPPINESS and they do it by religiously (no kidding, it's almost like a cult) protecting its culture. 

They do everything, including hire and fire, according to their 10 Core Values:


Check out my ZAPPOS VIDEO RESUME on my Google Drive.  After submitting it, they emailed me and asked me to complete a series of "missions" that I chose to accept and were very interesting and challenging.  I did a skills test for Typing and Grammar and answered the standard employment questions... and there were creative open-ended ones. Here are some examples...

Who is your favorite superhero and why?  I chose Samwise Gamgee from LOTR for a multitude of reasons which I explained at length in an essay.  If you walked into a room and a theme song was playing, what is it and why?  Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce because it's fun and can be interpreted anyway you'd like.  Also, you can use any dance moves you want anytime you want - it's also very easy to sing along to *OoooOOOOoOoOoooWooOoooOoo... Barbra Streisand*  On a scale of 1 - 10, how lucky do you consider yourself?  Eight.

Then came an even more interesting exercise where I had to choose 5 phrases out of a plethora of choices that expresses what I think ultimately reflects my feelings of my dream job.  Yes, it was quite abstract.  But they liked what I chose and I like what they've got.

I went out there for a 3 in 1 power interview/skills test session because they knew I'm from out-of-town.  During the 3 hours I was there, I was blown away by how extremely excited and genuinely happy the people were.  There's free meals and endless beverages complete with its own barista-operated coffee bar in the break room - I enjoyed my iced tea in a massage chair as my test was being graded.  There's a nap room, yoga balls for chairs, mandatory goofing off, parades, life coach, weight watchers, gym, casual-or-not-casual-whatever-you-desire-to-wear dress code, and those are just the perks AT work.  Plus the 40% discount...  Online shopping?  I have found my workplace heaven.

There's a scene in the movie titled: 21, between Kevin Spacey and main character Jim Sturgess...

Jimmy got a job at Google.
Well, if you're making so much money at this then why did he take it?
Ben, I said Google, not Sizzler.
 

When Zappos called me... that was my Jimmy-Got-A-Job-At-Google moment!  This is it!!  I am so grateful for this very unique opportunity to move forward in a new direction.  Will and I both feel that this is a kick in the seat of our pants to make a change.  And when life calls... you've got to answer!

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS, ALVINA!!!! I'm so happy and proud of you! Cheers to new beginnings, and yay for happy honeymooning!!! Loved that resume video!! Super creative. Bodhi has some mad typing skillz!

    PS: .... so... do I get a free dinner? =P ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fo' shizzle! I owe all my mad video making skillz to you! Hehehe, maybe I'll make you some homemade twinkies... if my hands ever recover from these awful, awful, awful Crochet hand cramps. I hate crochet.

      Delete
  2. Yayyyy!!! but BOOO :( I wish Zappos was in Cali! Kind of like how I felt after my interview in Denver, Colorado... it was everything I wanted in a program, the interview went well and it's my dream place to live... but Joey and all my friends and family are in SoCal :(
    Anyway, congrats again!!! but you better visit often or I'll be sad for me, even though I'm happy for you... still undeniably sad for me!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I hope you're having TONS of fun in Atlantis!! And I hope Will is feeling better too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had TONS and TONS of fun in Atlantis! It was so amazing and there was a thunderstorm on Thursday... but even that was extremely cool because it was like an exotic tropical storm, exciting!!! And since I checked out the forecast before leaving - we were equipped with ponchos, I was pretty proud of myself.

      Don't worry, our friendship will endure any distance.... just like PRISON LOVE!
      http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/taboo/videos/prison-love/

      Delete