Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cake, Pain, and Critters

Yesterday was such a wonderful day at work because my Lead & Supervisor treated me and a teammate to the Main Street Casino Station Buffet to celebrate our 100% WOW Call!  I'm very happy I got one in March because I got to include it in my Zappos resume for the specialty team I applied for.  I just did a written test for that position and I'm waiting to hear back on a possible interview... *fingers crossed*

And then later on my Lead surprised our team with this super delicious Tiramisu cake from a local bakery!!  A couple weeks ago, I started this running joke/rumor.  Every night our Lead gets ready to leave and he asks, "Anyone need anything before I leave?"  I always answer "Yes!" very seriously and then add.... "I need a tiramisu."  And then he's like "Yeah.... I'm going to go work on that."  So, the late-nighters started telling the earlier peeps that he gets us tiramisu at night, which made them jealous...  MUTINY!!!!  hee hee hee...  We were SO SURPRISED and didn't even believe him when he rolled up with a white cake box and told us he got us a tiramisu cake!!!  LOL

Today was another story.  I woke up super, duper, insanely, out-of-this world sore from the Body Pump class that I took at the Las Vegas Athletic Club with a friend yesterday.  There's like... *Oh yeah! I worked out HARD!* kind of sore... ... ... and then there's... *I want to get a doctor's note for a temporary wheelchair* kind of sore.

I'm pretty sure this could be considered a kind of minor injury. However, I'm pretty happy that my back doesn't hurt! Usually that is my weakest link... but I've been doing exercises to strengthen it, so they must be helping! My whole spinal column feels fine and I have no sciatica pain, so I'm not too worried. My quads, inner thighs, and glutes are screaming bloody murder though! :( It's ok, tomorrow is my weekend, I will rest.

On another note, as I was slowly waddling around my house today, I noticed a new Forrest habit.  He usually warms himself up in the patch of sunshine that comes through our upstairs window.  He'll just hang out in the loft and follow the rectangle of sunlight around.  He just *LOVES* sunbathing!  Today, he found a very narrow strip shining down to the bottom floor (I think it's a new patch of light created by the shift in the sun's afternoon location).  And he just curled up in the middle of it, desperately trying to catch the rays before they went away - so cute!

Afterwards, I waddled over to the fish tank and just stared at all my little critters for a while. The tall spiral shell in the front with the weird thing protruding out the left side is my nassarius snail - I call them all Snorkies (because of the snork - they use it to smell).  The one in the background is also a Snorkie... they troll the substrate (sand) of the tank for leftovers and algae and such.  They keep the substrate aerated to prevent growth of bad bacteria.  The big shell on the right is actually the back half of Big Claw III - he has blue and black legs... but I didn't catch him in the picture, oops.

Another thing I noticed is that we have a gigantic colony of copepods!  We first introduced copepods to the tank when we had a Scooter Blenny "Scooter"and my 6-Line Wrasse "Marcy Darcy" living in the tank.  They have since then unfortunately succumbed to either: Ick, Popeye, or Starvation.  Scooter needed a special diet of copepods but we didn't have enough to support him, so we think he may have starved to death (O.o SO SAD!!!!!)... and Marcy Darcy got this weird discoloration in her scales and then just died one day.  Anyway, the surviving copepods must've stayed in the sand and live rock crevices and reproduced.  I saw a whole bunch of them fighting for little food pellets at the bottom of the tank!  I'm thinking now I can get another fish whose diet is mainly composed of copepods.  So, we shall see.  The Summer of 2013 tank annihilation (we lost Bean *boy clown*, Marcy Darcy, and Scooter - as well as Kevin Tran the Starfish and all my little corals) really made me too sad to get any new fish... but we may start again soon.

Anyway, I have a new gardening project lined up for this weekend - expect an update soon!



3 comments:

  1. So... you planted the seed about tiramisu cake and it worked?? Looks amazing!!!! I want to try some next time I visit! :) I love all the names for your sea critters! my favorite is Marcy Darcy. haha. Most people don't get that reference. That's so sad about losing some of them. Oh and Dodger likes to sunbathe too - maybe it's a chihuahua thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also told him in passing one day, "So... I want you to remember that the next time we have a one-on-one meeting, I want to have it while playing ping pong." He told me "okaaaaay" like I'm a weirdo... and then the next week we had a one-on-one progression meeting while playing ping pong in the cafe! hahahaha! I just kinda throw things out there and hope they stick like cooked spaghetti against the wall. You should hear some of the stuff that DOESN'T work out. I responded to a ridiculous customer's email last week by adding a part where I *kindly* suggested she go to a local mall instead of shopping with us (I googled one for her and copy/pasted the directions and everything).... and he was like "Yeah........ that whole section needs to go. And, yeah....... I'm going to need you to stop doing emails when I leave.... so I know you'll still be here tomorrow." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, my work motto is: "the worst they can say is no!" So keep asking for outrageous things and see what happens! LOL. At least every once in a while you will get a cool little surprise like tiramisu or an impromptu game of ping pong! haha. Sometimes far fetched ideas are the best ones! haha.

    ReplyDelete