Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Hangover

For the longest time I thought that the movie was a bit (a lot) farfetched because as much fun and tomfoolery a few friends may be able to have in the crazy City of Sin... it's probably not really doable to squeeze all those activities into one day/night.  Annie came into town and we totally disproved that theory.

I think the best way to approach this explanation is by creating a chronological itinerary of the 1.75 days we spent together...

MONDAY, 4/15/2013
4:45pm - I picked her up from the McCarran Airport and headed straight to The Mirage Hotel & Casino.  We went to a lovely wine tasting lounge / restaurant called Onda Ristorante and redeemed our Travelzoo deal for a white wine flight and appetizer each.  We ended up getting completely free full glass of wine to go with our flight because the server was just pretty awesome.  We had Fried Calamari and a Caprese Salad.  *yum*

7:00pm or 8:00ish - Once we were finished, we decided to just ramble around and see what fun we could find.  We took a tram from the Mirage to Treasure Island.  We got one of those Vegas icon yard long icy drinks - but honestly, it tasted so crappy we threw it away after a short while.  We then somehow found ourselves in the Wynn.  We tried to get a picture taken inside the beautiful lit up forest - but these very awkward foreign tourists had the hardest time operating my phone's camera.  Like, the lady kept tapping the screen SUPER HARD to take the picture, so no matter what she did the picture was blurry because she literally just tapped so hard the phone would flop forward and back up while it took the picture.  Anyway, we then found ourselves inside of a Chanel store and I literally had to (gently) smack a wallet out of her hands.  We also went to Dior and almost, almost, almost bought matching sunglasses.  Holy cow, never enter designer shops tipsy.

9:30pm - Afterwards, of course we had to visit my favorite dessert spot ever - Jean Philippe at the Aria.  I think she had the Tiramisu and I had this big raspberry / rose macaron that my friend Jackie introduced to me from her trip in France... I believe it is called an Ispahan.  It's pretty much like a little bit of heaven inside your mouth.  *drool* We stayed and chatted for a while until finally our eyelids were closing by themselves and we knew we had a very long day tomorrow so we decided to call it a night.


TUESDAY, 4/16/2013

7:00am - We woke up and I made breakfast sandwiches for breakfast at my apartment.  Then we got ready to head out for our spa morning.

9:00am - We arrived at The Palms to get Swedish massages at Drift Spa with, once again, Travelzoo vouchers.  We each enjoyed a 50 minute massage and then went to their women's spa area and heated up in the sauna.  Then we showered and got all dried up and ready to move on with our day in a nice, relaxed state.

12:00 noon - What is Vegas without a buffet?  The Wicked Spoon  at The Cosmopolitan is easily my favorite buffet - not only is the variety phenomenal but really everything tastes amazing.  Haha, of course the picture is of desserts, but I promise the food is incredible even without photographic proof.  Once we were extremely stuffed we headed out on the road for the drive up to my future home (yes, I drag everyone who visits me to the construction site because I think it's so super special to watch my home get built - sorry visitors!)

2:00pm-ish - I showed her the slab of foundation or maybe at that time it was still just dirt with some trenches.  We also walked through some of the model homes next to the sales office.  The sales agent actually let us into one of the homes in my floorplan that was in the middle of being finished - so she saw an almost finished home exactly like what I'll be living in some months from now.

3:30pm - We made a quick coffee run and then headed over to Pacific Archery to learn how to shoot like Katniss.  The instructor was a little bit of a Chatty Cathy and totally 'misdiagnosed' Annie of her right-left-eyedness... as in he told her that her dominant eye was Right? but it was really Left (switch them if that's wrong) and it was totally the opposite of what it should be for a left-handed person.  So, she was shooting with the wrong eye and in the wrong hand - she kept hitting the inside of her arm with the bowstring on the reverb and it totally messed her arm all up!!  She looked like a crazy heroin junkie by the end of our lesson.  I walked away without a scratch and felt confident if I were in a post-apocalyptic death match, I could totally hit some people / zombies in the head.

5:30pm - We get back to my apartment and started to get dressed & made up for our big night out!  Some primping and fussing over our outfits and then we drove off to the Excalibur.

7:30pm - Hundreds of miles away from San Diego and where do we end up for a quick bite?  Buca de Beppo... lol.  Of course, we didn't have enough time, or appetite, to get our usual Frutti De Mar - so we settled for a Spinach Dip & Garlic Bread along with our first 2 cocktails of the evening.  While we waited for our refreshments, I stopped by will call to pick up our tickets...

9:00pm - We are seated and ready to go at... Thunder From Down Under!!  LOL, yes we totally went and it was totally awesome!  The show is really fun - I mean, honestly, they're total hotties but it was really entertaining even if they didn't seductively undress continuously.  There was this totally inappropriate grandma in the audience who was pulled up onto the stage and she grabbed the dancer's buttcheeks, caressed them, and then planted a kiss on one!!  What the heck?!!  The dancer was like really shocked - and so were all of us!  I guess... age makes women bolder?  Of course, the entertainment value was highly increased by the fact that we had another cocktail and a total of 6 jello shots between the two of us.

10:30pm - The show ended and Annie bravely approached the booth that Gene Simmons from KISS was sitting at with his lovely wife and their posse.  I don't know why they were there... but people were going bananas!  There was a crowd around their table to try and get autographs.  Turns out Annie is a gigantic fan of their reality show: Gene Simmons Family Jewels and the real star of the show is Gene's wife, Shannon.  Here is proof of their clandestine meeting - and she got Gene Simmons to autograph her Thunder from Down Under ticket.  *hurray*

11:00pm - We were a little tipsy, a little tired... and decided to go to the bar and get 2 waters and see what we wanted to do from there.  Here is the tipping point.  The bartender convinced us to take another jello shot - and we were like... what?! go home?! we're in Vegas, let's party!  First thought to pop in my head, let's take the tram to Mandalay Bay - I love it there!  (Mandy Bay & I are a bad romance... we have history *sigh*)  Of course, the tram is closed by that time so we geniuses decided to walk there, duh!  We step outside and started to walk... it seemed like the farther we walked, the farther it seemed to be.

11:30pm - 11:45ish - We cut through the Luxor.  On our way to the escalators to take the bridge, some guys were throwing things to each other up to the ledge where the rooms are.  I made a comment and then one of the guys tried to get cute and booty-bumped me when I walked past him - of course, I run gracelessly into a trashcan and get a little peeved.  On our way up... I said very loudly, for some reason, "Annie, he's WHITE!"  They all turn around to look at us - embarrassing.  Somehow, whenever I'm drunk, I sound very racist.  By the time we get to the Eyecandy Sound Lounge, we are in possession of matching whale socks.  Yeah, we just randomly went into a socks shop and got some whale socks.  Awesome.  We've also opened an oyster at one of those carts and got twin pearls!  GOOD THING DIOR WAS CLOSED... we probably would've bought those pricey sunglasses, no second thoughts.

12:30am - After one drink, we decided Eyecandy was totally whack because it was like 70's, 80's, 90's night and the music was not good and the people dancing were strange.  There was also a weird thing going on with this man sitting next to us - he seemed to be picking up this overly flirtatious woman who approached him.  Time to bounce!  I had the brilliant idea of going to my faaaavorite drunken stomping ground - the I-Bar at the Rio!

1:00am - We show up at the I-Bar and have another delicious drink but by this time we decided drinking was not enough... we must dance!  So, we got passes to the Voodoo Lounge and headed upstairs.  However, when we got there the doors were closed and no one was home.  *awwwww*

1:45am - We met this weird German dude in front of the closed club and he followed us back to the bar and made small talk.  Turns out it was just past the last call and we couldn't get anymore drinks... so, of course weird German dude invited us up to his room to drink red wine.  He was very specific.  We politely declined his invitation and he left.  Creeper.

2:00am - Were we ready to stop?  Of course not!!  This is Vegas - I used the power of google and we arrived at The Mirage (full 360 from our first stop straight out of the airport!) to party at 1-OAK... which I have since learned stands for 1 Of A Kind.  We encountered this distressed blond girl in the restroom who fed us this weird story about meeting a guy on the internet and he is waiting for her outside the restroom and we needed to pretend to be her friends and ask her to go inside the club so she didn't have to go up to his room with him.  We were like.... uhhhh.... ok.  Then she kept offering her drink to us.  We were like no but she was pushy about it.  My Dateline NBC with Chris Hansen alarms started ringing in my head.  I pretended to take sips and started to get super wary.  We still did that awkward pretend-to-be-her-friend skit... and then as we started walking away - he handed her a fistful of cash!  OMG... we were marked for human trafficking!  We all went inside the club and I told Annie to RUN!!  We ran in the opposite direction of the way she was heading and got to the bar.

image from urbanspoon - not us!
3:15am - We had danced to our little hearts' content and discovered we were SUPER HUNGRY.  We struck out to the lobby and followed the signs to Carnegie Delicatessan for some late, late night grub.  The club sandwich we got was gigantic but it wasn't very good... and that's terrible considering our condition after an entire night of drunken debauchery.  How can anything NOT taste amazing?  I remember not being impressed by the Carnegie a few years back when I ate their for dinner too... so, boo - never going back there again.

4:30am - We are back at home... ready to go to bed after an exhausting 22 hour day.  If it was a workday - I would've been leaving my house for work at that time... and that was the last conscious thought I had as my head hit the pillow.  *Zzzzzzz*

WEDNESDAY, 4/17/2013
9:30am - We woke up just a few short hours later and ate a very light breakfast... we weren't in the best of shape.  LOL, but we toughed it out and she got all packed up and we threw her luggage in the car.

11:00am - Annie came to Zappos with me and participated in a 60-minute tour even in our shabby state.  She was an excellent sport and was only sightly annoyed when this one girl kept asking very irrelevant questions about other businesses, like over and over and over again.  *grrrrr*

1:30pm - All good things must come to an end... and I dropped her off at the airport and had to say a sad goodbye.

This visit was so insanely epic!  Even though it took like a whole week for me to recover and reset my circadian rhythm / electrolytes... it was well worth it!

I had such a blast... miss you so much all the time!!! <3


3 comments:

  1. O..M...G...that sounded like an AMAZING time!! Next time I'm there, I wanna go crazy and do almost all those things too!! haha! I don't know how you have the energy to do all that!! haha. OMG and the human trafficking, the people you encounter are just ridiculous man haha!! I'm glad you and Annie had such a great time!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures!! I can't wait till my next visit to vegas hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so posting our epic 2 day adventure!! I had the best time ever! I cannot wait till u come out to sd next week!!! it's going to be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoL... it was amazing! Can't wait for more adventures!!! See you soon, Annie! And Jackie... I might have found a decent ramen place. =)

    ReplyDelete